Monday 25 January 2016

Chasing Orion (Arayat, Pampanga Philippines)

The Orion Constellation  widefield shot
 Nikon D610, Nikkor 85mm f1.8 @ f4 ISO 800
SkyWatcher StarAdventurer
 Total exposure = 2 minutes x 16

For the longest time, I have been chasing Orion like mad.  Here in Canada,  (Northern Hemisphere) Orion is visible high enough on the horizon when it starts to be -10 to -30 outside, meaning it comes out when its the dead of winter.  You just can't do proper imaging on those of temperatures.
Chasing this beautiful constellation led me to Arayat Pampanga , during our 2015 Christmas vacation, where the skies are pretty dark. I was actually surprised how dark the skies there, on a clear night you can see all the stars  with very minimal light pollution. I checked my star app, and yes Orion comes out high at around 9PM!
For a month long vacation, I thought I will have plenty of time for astrophotography but as nature calls the shots, I only got 1 window of opportunity, the image above is supposedly just a 25 minute "field test" for my star tracker...before  I was called back from the rice fields as snakes tend to go out at night.
Then i never got the chance again. There was the rain, the flood, and on my last day where the night was perfectly clear,  I left my camera bag back at my hometown.
I just stared at the starry sky almost in tears. But the test shot turned out to be ok as i was able to capture most of the deep sky objects
 
The Stars of Orion (darn clouds started rolling in on the right)
 Betelgeuse and  Rigel are one of the brightest stars in the night sky.

 
 Orion Shines!  Just how clear the skies are in Arayat
1x30 secs@ ISO800 85mm  f1.8@f4

No comments:

Post a Comment